Below is an annotated list of children's literature for the elementary classroom. The books are organized by the Six Elements of Social Justice Curriculum Design (Picower, 2007). It is based on work by pre-service teachers at Montclair State University. They have read and reviewed these books and provided insights into how they can be used in K-5 settings.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I Like About Me



Title: What I Like About Me!
Author: Allia Zobel-Nolan
Illustrator: Miki Sakamoto
Grade Level: P-3

Summary: This book was very short but it was about all the differences each child had. They each explained something unique about themselves that they liked. It has a cute rhyming element to it which I felt attracts small children. It shows a girl loving her curly hair, a boy who likes his big ears and a girl that likes her freckles. They all share their differences and turn them into a positive attribute that they like about themselves. I especially like the mirror at the end of the book.

Element One: Self-love and Knowledge:
I felt that this story although short depicts children loving themselves for who they truly are. All the differences between each other yet learning to love and appreciate things about themselves and others. At the end of the book there is a mirror that says "What is it you like best about you? This book not only helps students see other children loving themselves but also helps them to look at there own self and search for what they like such as braces, glasses, or being short.

How I would use this book:
I would read this book to my students and use the mirror as a tool to moving into a follow up activity of creating a "What I LOVE about me" wall. Each student can draw a portrait of themselves and place emphasis on something that they love about themselves. Once they are done creating their portraits I would have them place them all on the wall in our classroom. Once we are finished I would have each child share with the class what they love about themselves. Then I would have a group discussion with my students and have them share some things they admired about their fellow classmates portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment